If you think of skylights in homes as being outdated, you are likely recalling those skylights of yesteryear that were little more than plexiglass bubbles that sometimes leaked and usually needed repair after major weather events.
Today’s skylights provide amazing ambiance to any room and last for years. Best of all, installing skylights offers a host of benefits for homeowners, including long-term health benefits, energy savings, increased home value, and even tax benefits.
Although there are likely other reasons why you’d love having skylights in your home, here are six compelling reasons why you should consider installing skylights as part of your next home renovation project.
- Ambiance. There is no light like natural light and that is exactly what skylights allow to filter into any room where they are installed. This natural light is less intense and more soothing and provides the feeling of bringing the outside in without sacrificing privacy. As light patterns change throughout the day, so does the look and feel of the room. This ambiance is impossible to create with windows or other lighting techniques.
- Privacy. While it is possible to achieve some natural light in rooms with windows, there is no comparison to the soothing, natural light that filters in from skylights. And skylights have one big advantage over the typical window – privacy. Skylights never need to be covered with curtains to keep others from peering in. Let the natural light flow in without worrying about the neighbors.
- Improved Health & Wellness. We are all inundated with artificial sources of light – in our workplaces, inside the venues we frequent (like grocery stores), and at home. Most of us spend up to 90% of our time inside, exposed to the varied sources of unnatural light. Artificial light has been the subject of numerous recent studies that point to negative health impacts. As humans, we our bodies naturally crave and need natural light to function best.There is also compelling evidence to support the positive impact natural light has on our bodies both physiologically and psychologically. Natural light has been linked to influencing the body’s internal clock that affects circadian rhythm and sleep patterns. Let’s don’t forget the health benefits of Vitamin D, which our body produces response to sunlight. It keeps our immune systems boosted and our bones strong and healthy.
- Increased Home Value. Natural light is one of the most sought-after features of potential homebuyers, and homes with skylights sell more often because of the simple fact that they allow this natural light to enhance any room where they are installed. Consumer Affairs lists the addition of Energy-Star-qualified, no leak skylights as one of the best options for your remodeling dollars when considering cost and residual value. The benefits shown in energy efficiencies, in addition to improving overall mood and ambiance, make skylights a great investment.
- Energy Savings. Did we say energy efficiencies? Skylights provide unparalleled energy savings and not just from helping homeowners avoid flipping the light switch every time they enter a room. That is a real savings, of course, but even greater energy savings can result from the many options available in today’s skylight installations.For example, you might opt to install fresh air, solar-powered skylights that allow for improved air flow and quality. They are operated by batteries that are charged by solar power and may even include a built-in rain sensor that automatically closes the skylight if it rains. Homes with solar-powered skylights saw as much as a 45 percent boost in their home’s energy performance rating.
- Tax Benefits. If you’re still on the fence about installing skylights in your home, here’s another reason you may wish to add them to your home improvement list soon. On October 3, 2008, President George W. Bush signed into law the Emergency Stabilization Act followed by President Barack Obama signing into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) on February 17, 2009. The net result of these two laws provides for a significant tax credit for homeowners installing renewable technologies, including a variety of solar-powered skylight options, if purchased and installed within the federal government timeline. Every year you wait, the tax benefits decrease, so you’ll want to act now to reap the greatest tax benefits.
Installing skylights can provide so many advantages that extend well beyond the obvious aesthetic appeal from the natural light they provide. If you would like to explore the options available and discuss skylights for your home, your local New Jersey skylight contractor, Alte Exteriors, is well-qualified to provide a professional recommendation.
As a certified VELUX® installer, Alte Exteriors offers both fresh air skylights as well as fixed selections and can help you sort through the best skylight options for your home or renovation project. Call us today at 908-829-6086 for a free consultation and estimate!